I have a broad ranging directing experience. Most recent being scripted shorts, including past work directing broadcast promos and several documentaries. Being also an illustrator and motion graphics artist, I am definitely a visually driven Director.
In all, I have written and directed 4 short films that have won awards and been screened at international festivals. In 2020, I wrote-directed a short under the prestigious Arri Trinity Challenge in association with Directors UK. Titled "The Sacrifice" - the film premiered at Vue Cinema, London - now streaming on Arri's official Youtube channel. It won Best Director at UKOWF awards 2020, screened at Oscar qualifying and other prestigious film festivals. I have been shortlisted for the Pitch Short Film Fund 2020. In 1999, I won the Charles Wallace India Arts Trust Award which enabled me to shoot a 16mm black-and-white Short AFTERIMAGE. In 1995 I received the Hubert Bals Fund grant from the Rotterdam Film Festival to develop a feature film screenplay.
Before I began directing scripted work, I spent 20 years producing-directing Documentaries both in the UK and in India. As a documentarian, I make films on subjects I feel strongly about. From forced marriage, tribal rights, sustainable farming to transgender rights, my documentaries were intended to make an impact and help affect positive change. The doc Bobby and her Friends (on a Transgender Community living with HIV-AIDS) was screened at the Futures Group (Washington DC) policy briefing about LGBT rights in South Asia. One reviewer called it “intensely moving” and “harrowing” (Raindance film festival 2007). Another film The Vanishing People helped effect legislation banning encroachments on tribal lands in the Andamans.
As an interviewer, I make an effort to build a special connection with my interview subjects and my empathetic approach makes for revealing and powerful filmmaking. Coming up with ideas then pitching them means one is specially invested in that project. I bring that level of commitment to every project.
- Best Director: 2020 "The Sacrifice" (UK Offline Web Festival 2020)
- Best Newcomer: Zara Aslam "The Sacrifice" (UK Offline Web Festival 2020)
- Award of Recognition: Women Filmmakers "The Guard" (Accolade Global Film Competition 2019)
- REMI Award "The Ghost in the Kamera" (52nd World Fest Houston 2018)
- Golden Fox - Best Children's/Family Short "The Ghost in the Kamera" (Calcutta International Cult Film Festival 2018)
- Best Children's Short "The Ghost in the Kamera" (Independent Shorts Award 2018)/li>
- Best Costume Design "The Ghost in the Kamera" (Indie Short Fest 2018)
- Silver Award "5 Years of Discovery promo" (Radio and TV Producers Association, 1998)
- Hubert Bals Fund Award "Chandi" Feature Screenplay (Rotterdam Film Festival, 1997)
- Semi Finalist: Best Children's Short "The Ghost in the Kamera" (Hyperwave Film Awards 2019)
- Nominated: Jury Award - Best Children's Short "The Ghost in the Kamera" (SHORT To The Point 2018)
- Nominated: Best Children's Short "The Ghost in the Kamera" (Indie Short Fest 2018)